Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lonely and Afflicted

Psalms 25:16-18  Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.  (17)  The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses.  (18)  Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins.

While my wife is away, in the quiet moments between the distractions I manage to find, I’ve been pondering loneliness.

All of the fears, bad memories, insecurities, idle (and often sinful) habits rise to the surface when we are alone.  Discipline takes a back seat and we search for comfort in lesser substitutes than the relationships which we’ve taken for granted.  Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder.  When we are no longer alone we remember the pain and try harder to love and to serve others.

During the pain it is good to pray for God’s grace to get through the affliction of loneliness and the trouble of one’s heart.  We know that God will give us grace as seen in the strength to get us through the distress.  As we realise that our lonely period is coming to an end and we are going to make it through, we can thank God more easily for his grace towards us in getting us through and in forgiving our sins.  We do not deserve the comfort that comes from above, yet it is a sign of the grace that covers our marred and blackened souls.

Thank you Lord Jesus.  Give us strength to endure and deliver us from loneliness.

Amen